Mr. Meeuwsen ~ 5th Grade
5th grade curriculum
Bachelor of Arts: Gonzaga University. Master of Education: University of Phoenix
Mr. Brian Meeuwsen
5th Grade Homeroom Teacher
503 357 6990 x224
Visitation Catholic School
4189 NW Visitation Road
The greatness of beign a part of a Catholic school is being challenged to live out my faith everyday as a model for the students. The best moments in the classroom happen when the students relate a part of the faith to actions which support that belief. As
Catholics we do not just believe our faith; we live it.—Mr. Meeuwsen
- Study of the New Testament, sacraments, liturgy, prayers, and service
- Learn that the sacraments are God’s gifts of life
- Examine the Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism and Confirmation
- Study the Eucharist and Mass
- Examine the Sacraments of Healing: Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick
- Discuss the Sacraments of Service: Holy Orders and Matrimony
- Introduction of the 5 paragraph essay
- Introduce the topic sentence with supporting details along with summarization skills
- Practice of grade level words, vocabulary, and decoding skills
- Identify different parts of speech and usage
- Introduction to prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections to support sentence structure
- Analyze literary concepts such as characters, plot, drawing conclusions, and cause/effect.
- Students understand author’s purpose for writing.
- Read and comprehend from a variety of fiction and nonfiction stories.
- Order, model, and compare common whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, decimals, fractions and percents
- Determine the order of operations for multiple step calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Measure length, weight, perimeter, area, and volume with accuracy using the appropriate tools
- Define, draw, name, and classify angles, triangles, and line segments using measurement tools
- Represent and analyze patterns and functions using words, tables, graphs or simple algebraic expressions
- Use the scientific method to explore, experiment, and inquire about the natural world
- Investigate plants, invertebrates, vertebrates, and communities
- Discover the building blocks of matter and sources of energy
- Discover the Earth and universe including changes in weather
- Steps to Respect: an anti bullying program
- A focus on healthy choices such as good nutrition, exercise, and avoiding drugs, alcohol, and tobacco.
- Study transport systems of the body
- Taught in art class as well as integrated throughout all subject areas
- Development of art principles such as line, color, texture, form etc. through the use of different medium (watercolor, paint, collage, mosaics, sketches, and sculpture)
* Fifth and Sixth grade is a blended classroom with a rotating curriculum in Religion, Social Studies, Science, and Health. The course work provided ensures that every student experiences age-appropriate and sequential instruction across the curriculum.
Please speak with your classroom teacher to identify the current year’s curriculum topics.